- Published: Thursday, 13 March 2014 16:46
Hundreds of businesses in the New Forest National Park have been given a free memory stick full of images, maps and videos to encourage visitors to leave their cars behind.
The memory stick highlights a better way for them to enjoy the natural beauty of the National Park by train, bike, Twizy electric car and the open-top New Forest Tour.
Businesses are free to use all of the content on their websites and marketing materials to promote a car free and carefree visit to the New Forest.
Five hundred memory sticks have been produced by the New Forest National Park Authority as part of a £3.8 million fund from the Department of Transport.
The Local Sustainable Transport Fund is shared between the New Forest and South Downs National Parks. By 2015, the aim is to encourage 370,000 visitors to switch how they travel to and around each park from car to sustainable transport, whether that’s train, bike, Twizy or Tour.
A number of local businesses including Careys Manor in Brockenhurst, and The Master Builder’s Hotel at Buckler’s Hard & Daisybank Cottage Boutique B&B have already shown their support.
Mark Holroyd, sustainable transport officer at the New Forest National Park Authority, said: 'We want to show visitors that they can enjoy the breathtaking scenery of the New Forest National Park without the stress of driving and traffic filled roads.
‘Like us, local businesses are proud of the National Park's landscape and its unique qualities. The memory stick helps businesses to play their part and spread the message to visitors to make that switch.’
The memory stick includes:
• Photos of the New Forest Tour, cycling, trains, Twizy electric cars and walks as well as images of New Forest animals and scenes
• Videos of the New Forest Tour highlighting the journey starting from London and from inside the New Forest National Park
• Information on cycle hire, Twizys and the New Forest Tour routes
• Maps of cycle routes, New Forest Tour routes and links with public transport as well as the Essential Guide to the New Forest, where you’ll find plenty of information and inspiration to make holidays in the National Park extra special.
Businesses can also get free updates and photos throughout the year by visiting www.newforestnpa.gov.uk and signing up to our 'green travel' Park life email newsletter.