New Forest District Council

In this communication:

  • Update on waste and recycling services – ongoing driver shortages
  • Climate and Nature Emergency declared
  • Hampshire-wide plan for waste disposal
  • Help for people renting, and landlords
  • Support to Roger Penny Way petition
  • NHS COVID Pass
  • Waterside corridor travel improvements
  • StreetSafe
  • Regular coronavirus testing still important

Update on waste and recycling services – ongoing driver shortages

Along with other councils, the ongoing shortage of staff and HGV drivers across the country is having an impact on some of our waste and recycling services.

We are doing all we can to alleviate pressures on the service, working with staff from other council services and agency staff, and recruiting where we can to fill driver vacancies. We are responding day by day, assessing the staffing levels available, and prioritising collecting the black and clear sack waste.

This has meant some of our services are experiencing disruption – garden waste was temporarily paused, some glass collections have not taken place, bulky waste is currently suspended, and the delivery of sacks is behind schedule.

Services are currently operating as follows:

  • General waste and recycling: is the priority service and we are continuing to collect black and clear sack waste from 80,000 households in the district every week.
  • Garden waste: was temporarily paused and reinstated earlier this month on a four-weekly collection schedule. Currently unable to take on any new customers or offer additional sacks.
  • Glass collection: is continuing but some areas’ black box collections may have to be postponed at short notice
  • Bulky waste collection: is currently suspended.
  • Sack deliveries: Deliveries of clear and black sacks may be running slightly behind the schedule that residents have come to expect. We are working to catch up any backlog, and in the meantime, residents are reminded that they can use any black or clear sack, they do not need to be NFDC sacks.

Our apologies for the current disruption, which is likely to continue for some time. Our staff are working extremely hard in difficult circumstances. Thank you for your patience and support.

Please follow our updates on the website and social media. You can get latest updates, as well as via this email, in the following ways:

Climate and Nature Emergency declared

At our meeting of Council (11 October 2021) we declared a Climate Change and Nature Emergency for the district.

Cllr Edward Heron, Leader, “In itself, declaring a climate emergency does nothing, it’s what you then do. But this is a clear signal that we consider it of such importance that we will be building on the climate change actions already underway and taking a more fundamental look at our activities, with the target of reducing carbon emissions along with an ambitious action plan being put in place to measure annual district-wide progress.”

Read more

Hampshire-wide plan for waste disposal

We have approved a new “Joint Municipal Waste Management Strategy” (JMWMS) which will allow us to work with other councils in Hampshire to reduce our carbon impact, and meet upcoming government legislation.

As we also work on our own waste collection strategy, the JMWMS will support us in sharing resources and working towards our goal to reduce waste and increase recycling.

The new JMWMS will allow us to:

  • Move to a ‘twin-stream’ recycling collection system for the New Forest district.  A twin-stream system means paper and card are collected from one container, and glass bottles and jars, plastic bottles, tubs and trays, metal tins and cans in another.
  • Introduce weekly food waste collections within the next few years

Specific information about the waste service for the New Forest, such as how often waste will be collected, and the types of containers and vehicles to be used, will be known when our final waste strategy is agreed.

Read more:

Help for people renting, and landlords

  • Tenants: If you are renting and think you may be at risk of becoming homeless, please get in touch with us as soon as possible – we have different ways we can help.
  • Landlords and letting agents: Do you rent a property to tenants? We know that eviction is often the last resort and is a costly and stressful process. Get in touch with our ‘Call Before You Serve’ team, before you issue any eviction notices, and we can work with you on solutions to get the tenancy back on track.

Email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 023 8028 5222

Support to Roger Penny Way petition

We have added our support to a petition from the New Forest Speed Awareness Campaign regarding traffic speeds on Roger Penny Way.

We will now work with the Police and Crime Commissioner, and Hampshire County Council as the Highways Authority, on a feasibility study into traffic speeds on the road, and a report on the next steps will be brought to a future NFDC Cabinet meeting.

Read more at:


The NHS COVID Pass shows your coronavirus vaccination details or test results. You might be asked to show your pass when travelling abroad, or at some events or venues in the UK.

To get your COVID Pass, visit the NHS website:

Criminals are using the NHS COVID Pass as a way to target the public by convincing them to hand over money, financial details and personal information. They are sending out imitation text messages, emails and making phone calls pretending to be from the NHS, and offering fake vaccine certificates for sale online and through social media.


  • the NHS app is free
  • the NHS COVID Pass is free
  • the NHS will never ask for payment or any financial details.

Waterside corridor travel improvements

Hampshire County Council are asking local people to share their views on proposals to improve travel and transport in the Waterside area.

The proposals look at improving bus reliability and journey times at Rushington Roundabout, Marchwood Bypass and Junction Road, Totton.

If you live, or work locally, you are invited to share your thoughts about the proposed changes. Complete the online response form before Wednesday 3 November at

You can also request a paper copy by calling 0300 555 1388.


StreetSafe is a new service which allows members of the public to anonymously report public places where they have felt or feel unsafe to the police.

The service will help the police to build a picture of issues in different areas, which will help them to identify actions that can be done to help the public feel safer.

You can report anything that makes you feel unsafe, such as environmental issues like street lighting, abandoned vehicles or vandalism, or behaviours, such as being followed or verbally abused.

Find out more about StreetSafe at

StreetSafe is not a way of reporting crime, and you should always call 101 to report crime to the police or 999 in an emergency.

Regular coronavirus testing still important

With autumn and winter very much on the way, it’s important to help stop the spread of COVID-19 by testing regularly, especially before meeting up with others.
Get free rapid test kits from the NHS

Help is at hand if you are self-isolating. Call the Hampshire Coronavirus Helpline today on 0333 370 4000 to find out what support is available to you

Thank you for reading this communication. Please share this email with your family and friends, and if they would like to sign up to receive them in future, they can subscribe at